Quality Control Technician
Job Description/Title: Quality Control Technician
General Summary of the Position:
Plan, direct, or coordinate the work activities associated with the manufacture and placement of Asphalt Pavement Materials in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Follow set procedures to perform physical testing on various construction aggregates. Be exact in the work.
- Support concurrent engineering efforts by participating in design development projects representing Quality Assurance and the customer.
- Formulates sampling procedures and designs and develops forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data.
- Applies statistical methods and performs mathematical calculations to determine manufacturing processes, staff requirements, and production standards.
- Coordinates quality control objectives and activities to resolve production problems, maximize product reliability, and minimize cost.
- Communicates with management and user personnel to develop production and design standards.
- Interfaces with suppliers and customer quality representatives concerning problems with quality assurance and assure that effective corrective action is implemented. There will also be frequent contact with other plants, project managers, foremen, superintendents, customers and members of the public. Occasional contact with company managers and executives.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of mathematics and its applications. Exercises facility (speed & accuracy) in processing basic mathematical operations.
- Production and processing knowledge of raw materials, processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Knowledge of the practical application of asphalt engineering science and technology to the design and production of hot mix asphalt materials and services.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in planning, resource allocation, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Understanding of physics and working knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in materials production.
- Good reading, oral, and written comprehension and expression skills. Active listening skills.
- Perform Process Control and Quality Control functions as needed or directed as a means to evaluate the degree of compliance or control.
- Operations analysis skills ? can analyze needs and requirements to design an HMA product.
- System evaluation skills ? can identify measures of system performance and define actions needed to improve or correct performance.
- Exercises fluency of ideas when approaching a problem. Can come up with a number and variety of options.
- Must also have good coordination, time management, judgment, decision-making, reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to talk to others to effectively convey information.
- Ability to see details at close range (within a few feet).
Education, Training and Experience:
Palmer Paving Corporation
Quality Control Technician
- Bachelor?s Degree preferred, or may be replaced with combination of high school degree/equivalent and three to five years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Experience must include related on-the-job training and experience in asphalt paving, road construction practices.
- Strong computer skills including QA applications, word processing, spreadsheets and databases.