Position: Construction Laborer
Reports To: Paving / Construction Foreman
General Summary of the Position:
Perform tasks involving physical labor at highway, and heavy construction projects. May operate a variety of hand and power tools. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, clean up rubble and debris, and remove waste materials. May assist other craft workers.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Perform a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor in heavy/highway construction projects; perform manual work in preparing surfaces for paving.
- Shovel bituminous concrete (asphalt) into construction area.
- Fine grade fill to grades given by foreman.
- Assist in patching asphalt with hot and cold mix. Excavate and fills trenches and ditches.
- Maintain a clean job site ? pick up all tools, equipment, & secure job site each day ? to eliminate potential hazards.
- Material handling and storage.
- Loads and unloads trucks and hauls and hoists materials.
- Ensure proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed, Bring problems to the attention of the Foreman, Safety Director, or HR Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies used in heavy/highway construction work.
- Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work.
- Willing and able to perform manual work following verbal and written instructions.
- Regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, or carry objects, use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue, and to effectively jump, sprint, or throw an object.
- Requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multilimb coordination.
- Noise level is generally loud.
- Must be able to quickly move arms and legs.
- Excellent stamina is required.
Must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid and appropriate Massachusetts driver?s license prior to employment.